Thursday, November 7, 2013

A&S 50 #1 First Complete Scroll Design

I finished my first complete scroll this week. I started calligraphy when I was about eight years old and have played with it off and on ever since, but I haven't really completed any projects. My first SCA even ever was Inkin' in Lincoln in Bloomington, IL September 28, 2013. I did some lettering and illumination and came away with a backlog scroll assignment. This scroll is the result. Mistress Dairine mor o'uHigin of Atenveldt has an absolutely fantastic set of illumination tutorials, and I have been working through them making pages for a practice book which I may bind at some point. Since this was an award for archery, I used her acanthus leaf tutorial to draw leaf ribbons around an arrow. The versal was based on some her white work and diapering. I used a scene from this small painted chest as inspiration for the archer at the bottom of the page. The box is currently on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, access number 50.141.





The Original Chest


Close-up of the Archer

Process: 
I practiced the text several times with markers and cartridge pens. I used a uncial hand based mostly on Margaret Shepherd’s book Learn Calligraphy. I chose uncial because it is the hand I was most comfortable with at the time. It also spans a long time period and large geographical area, although it is best known for works such as the Book of Kells from the British Isles.





Next I sketched my design onto a sheet of 11x14 inch Bristol Paper. I went over the pencil with a 0.005 Sakura pen. I ruled my lines in pencil around 4 nib widths and completed the lettering with a Speedball C-3 nib and Higgins India ink. I later realized there was a mistake and corrected it with margin lettering with a Speedball C-5 nib. I rubricated the name with a Speedball C-1 in Higgins ink. After lettering, I painted in the design using watercolors and gouache for the whitework. I used gold acrylic paint for the gilding. After the piece dried completely, I erased as much of the pencil as I could with a kneadable eraser.


It certainly isn't perfect, but I really enjoyed the process. I had a great time working on this project!

References
Shepherd, M. (2001). Learn calligraphy : The complete book of lettering and design. New York: Broadway Books.
Stirler, G. (2009). Lessons for beginner scribes. Retrieved October 30, 2013, from http://gutenbergscribes.chivalrysports.com/index.shtml



No comments:

Post a Comment